... about http://scientistlifeboat.com

Arthur Sowers arthures at magpage.com
Fri Dec 18 22:03:51 EST 1998

http://scientistlifeboat.com

...is the new home for the essays "Contemporary Problems in Science Jobs."
There is also new material and additional topics relating to careers in
science, and careers in biomedical sciences in particular.

We recommend as a "chat room" for job-career issues the internet newsgroup
"sci.research.careers." You'll have real freedom of speech capacity, no
censorship, multiple sources instead of a single source for opinons, and
probably a larger lurker-reader audience, too.

The domain, scientistlifeboat.com, is owned by my company via the
authority of Internic (Network Solutions), and that domain name
confirmation came through on Sept 30, 1998. The bill was paid. The
site was "on the air" a few days later.

The general focus of my website will still be on careers. There will be
new material that you can't find on the other websites. Some subjects
include age discrimination and the older scientist, unionization and
organization, and additional analysis of how "the system" works and if and
whether anything can be done about it. There will be information and
resources to help those who may be in trouble that is not of their own
making.

I will continue to do book reviews and cite titles of significant books
that deal directly or indirectly with careers or career issues or
relevant employment trends. I will continue to cite relevant websites and
internet resources. I will foster the idea that one should NOT get all
information and opinions from just one or a few sources.

I have decided to continue to cite other websites even if they are
competitors of my website, and even though you will rarely or even NEVER
find on those websites any reciprocal reference to my website, or any
other website. Some websites only acknowledge the existence of other
websites if they are "establishment" websites. I and my company will
support the philosophy that multiple opinions should be sought out on any
given relevant topic.

My website will also carry a disclosure and disclaimer, a policy and
history, and mission. This is unlike many if not most other websites.
Please remember this as you visit websites.

I will continue to emphasize reality over hype and hucksterism, instead of
concentrating only on positive information as if negative events never
happen and you don't have to worry about them.

There is already some new material on the website, and we have a up-front
hit statistics counter right there, out in the open. No cookies. No
sign-in with password. No subscription fee. No hidden marketing. You
can watch the hit counter, yourself, if you click on your "reload" button.
About 45 of the hits are my own in the course of adding or modifying files
and then changing the links and then checking to make sure they work.
There are websites where there is a link, and clicking on it dumps you
into a "404" error message.

The root word, 'scientistlifeboat,' is to indicate a benfit to
scientists and other technical people, and the "lifeboat" root is a
reference to what saves people in ocean voyages by ship where some
disaster strikes. A specific event burned in my mind is the maiden voyage
of the Titanic where there was not only unwarranted arrogance and
overconfidence in hyped technology (the "unsinkable") but the number of
passengers substantially exceeded the number of lifeboat seats. Moreover,
post disaster investigation showed that not even all the lifeboat seats
were occupied, thus contributing to additional loss. I am happy for the
fact that attention to safety issues is generally much stronger in
today's world than in the world back in the days of the Titanic.

There is now substantial consensus about a PhD glut in many fields,
underemployment, and a substantial flow of PhDs into jobs that do not
require a PhD (websites, books, articles, and government and other studies
are cited on my website about this). There seems, in contrast, and for
example, a larger proportion of people going through medical schools that
actually end up in long stable careers in medicine.

The website is meant to be a resource for material to help those succeed,
survive, salvage, or "escape" from their science career.  Reorganizations,
start-up business failures, grant non-renewals, tenure denials, political
backstabs, and age-discrimination all represent career hazards. Howver, we
do not worry about those who get tenure, or stable and permanent jobs.

Anyone who has news, suggestions, or writings on a career or science
career issue is invited to submit it to us for consideration in our
monthly "feature" section.

One of the "escape" scenarios that will be described and detailed, in a
future part of the website, will be starting your own business or
corporation.

Anyone finding anything that needs correction, please email me. Anyone
with a suggestion, please email me.

We have just opened a "bookstore" on the website as a means to defray the
fixed costs in running the website. The bookstore will also grow and
develop with time.

We have an office in a commercial site, which is a historic building
(the Samuel T. Adams building, 1866) that is now on both the national and
state historic registers) in Georgetown, Delaware. We're not quite all set
up to have visitors yet, but when we are, the pictures will be on the
website, and the coffee (Capucino for Marc Lamphier) for visitors will be
free.

Arthur E. Sowers, PhD
president, Arthur E. Sowers, Inc.
a Delaware for-profit corporation since 1995
sponsoring: http://scientistlifeboat.com (under construction)
mailing address:
P.O. Box 489
Georgetown, DE 19947