Does skull bones move?

rkmorto at ibm.net rkmorto at ibm.net
Sun Dec 27 17:48:38 EST 1998

Rickard Toomey wrote:

> Hello,
>
> YFlower wrote:
>
> > I wonder - Does the skull bones move ? Are there any kind of bones in
> > the human body that are not moving ??
> > ~~~~~~~~~
>
> I am not sure exactly what you mean by your question (i.e. what are
> you defining as your frame of reference).  In an adult human a number of
> the bones of the skull fuse together and do not move with respect to
> each other.  However, in juveniles the bones are not fused and do move
> to accomodate growth.  Also, the fused bones of the skull do move
> with respect to the vertebra, the jaw, etc.
>
> In terms of other examples, it again depends on frame of reference.
> In adults the three bones that make up each side of the hip fuse
> together (and the left and right hip bones fuse together).  In this
> fused six bone set, the six bones do not move (much) with respect to
> each other; however, the hip (composed of the six fused bones)
> does move with respect to the backbone, the thighbone, etc.
>
> The frame of reference is important in knowing how to answer your
> question.
>
> Rick Toomey
> Illinois State Museum
> toomey at museum.state.il.us

Actually, in the living human, the bones do not actually fuse, but still
move, ever so slightly to allow for craniosacral hydraulic rhythmic
cycles. In fact, osteopaths and bodyworkers have even developed an
extremely effective treatment called craniosacral therapy, wherein the
craniosacral rhythm is manipulated and brings about beneficial
restorative changes in the organism.  No, it isn't psychological,
because it works on animals, too.

For more information on the subject, do a search on the word
"craniosacral" either on AltaVista, or even better, at www.dogpile.com,
where you can do a multi-engine search.  Hope it helps!

Dr. Richard Morton, Clinical Reflexologist
Reflex Clinics of Iowa
rkmorto at ibm.net