Very Quick Cell Question

TODD J PIERCE tjp4773 at mailer.fsu.edu
Sat Feb 14 20:54:41 EST 1998

I know I can see individual strands of bacteria at 100x with a microscope.

My question is this what magnification do I need to see both a cell and
its nucleus--that is, for a fairly large cell--200x, 500x?  In our very
basic lab, we have microscopes up to 100x.  Are microscopes with higher
ranges of magnifacation common in working labs?

Could I see the nucleus with the standard microscope, or can one only see
the dark outline of the nucleus with an electron microscope?

Thanks,
Todd