pH for ethyl alcohol solutions

Brian Bjørn bbjorn at mdb.ku.dk
Mon Feb 23 16:22:58 EST 1998

john doe wrote:

> My guess is that there would be no change in pH, as EtOH doesn't
> ionize, and is neither acidic or basic. Merck Index 10th Ed. does not
> give a pH value.

Well, what do I know. I was told by a laboratory technician that she had
used pH measurements to determine ethanol concentrations - she might be
wrong. I tried looking up eventual values in the Rubber Bible but found
nothing which is why I asked the question here.

> However, there may be an artifact affect of trying to measure pH with
> a standard pH probe if the alcohol were to diffuse across the probe
> membrane and into the probe and affect the conductivity of the probe
> filler solution.

That is a possible explanation.

> Just a semi-educated guess.

But a good one I guess !