pH for ethyl alcohol solutions

john doe nobody at nowhere.com
Mon Feb 23 13:44:19 EST 1998

On Mon, 23 Feb 1998 18:32:46 +0100, "Brian Bjørn" <bbjorn at mdb.ku.dk>
wrote:

>I need to know the pH value of different solutions (30, 50, 70, 80, 90
>%) of ethyl alcohol in distilled water. - Is there a formula to
>calculate it ? Thanks !
My guess is that there would be no change in pH, as EtOH doesn't
ionize, and is neither acidic or basic. Merck Index 10th Ed. does not
give a pH value.

However, there may be an artifact affect of trying to measure pH with
a standard pH probe if the alcohol were to diffuse across the probe
membrane and into the probe and affect the conductivity of the probe
filler solution.

Just a semi-educated guess.