For lateral thinkers: How to measure shrimp burrowing?

Peter Briggs peter.briggs at cbr.clw.csiro.au
Wed Feb 25 01:44:36 EST 1998

Dear All,

A friend of mine is trying to figure out how much sediment is disturbed by
small burrowing shrimp, so she wants to track the size of their burrows
over time.  Sandwiching them in a layer of sediment between two sheets of
glass was the first try, but it is proving difficult to track their burrows
when they're not right up against the glass.  I (an idiot) have suggested
glueing thread to the back-end of each one and seeing how much thread they
reel out, then assuming a standard burrow diameter.

Would any lateral thinkers care to contribute a lateral thought to this
problem.  Please respond to me by e-mail thanks as I don't monitor this group.

Cheers, Peter Briggs
CSIRO Land & Water, FC Pye Lab,
GPO Box 1666, Canberra, ACT 2601, Australia
ph:  +61 2 6246 5554   fax:  +61 2 6246 5560
email:  peter.briggs at cbr.clw.csiro.au
http://www.cbr.clw.csiro.au/~bri220