Information you requested!

buffalo95 at my-dejanews.com buffalo95 at my-dejanews.com
Sun Jun 7 04:59:14 EST 1998

THE LATEST AND MOST COMPLETE INFORMATION ON THE CYBER ADVERTISING
SYSTEMS/INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY CORPORATION SPAM. THANKS TO ALL WHO CONTRIBUTED
AND TO DEJANEWS WHO MADE A LOT OF THIS POSSIBLE.

THIS IS AN AUTOMATIC RESPONSE FROM ABUSE at BBS-LA.COM. PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO
THIS ADDRESS. SEND ALL REPLIES TO BUFFALO at BBS-LA.COM COPIES OF ALL MESSAGE
SENT TO THIS BOX ARE FORWARDED TO BUFFALO at BBS-LA.COM AND ARE REVIEWED BY A
HUMAN BEING (ME) WHO WILL AGRESSIVELY DEAL WITH THE PROBLEMS REPORTED.

[UPDATE: BBS-LA IS SMALL, BUT WE'RE FIERCE. SPAM IS A NUISANCE, BUT BASING A
SPAM BUSINESS ON ILLEGAL ACCESS TO ISP'S SERVICES, HACKING AND THE LIKE IS
OFF THE SCALE OF ACCEPTABLE BEHAVIOR. WE'RE NOT TALKING DUBIOUS FIRST
AMMENDMENT ISSUES HERE, WE'RE TALKING ABOUT A CRIMINAL CONSPIRACY TO DEFRAUD
ISP'S, ABUSE INTERNET RESOURCES, AND MAKE US PAY FOR IT. I'M NOT A BIG
SUPPORTER OF THE GOVERNMENT, OR GOVERNMENT REGULATION SO I DON'T EXPECT THE
GOVERNMENT TO RESOLVE THIS PROBLEM. I'VE REPORTED ALL THIS TO THE FBI AS SOME
OF THESE FOLKS ACTIONS ARE CRIMINAL AND SHOULD BE PROSECUTED. MEANWHILE, BY
PROVIDING YOU WITH ALL THE INFO I'VE FOUND TO DATE, WE CAN ALL TAKE WHATEVER
ACTION WE FEEL IS APPROPRIATE TO DEAL WITH THESE SPAMMERS. THEY CAN RUN, BUT
IT WILL BE A LITTLE HARDER TO HIDE NOW. I STILL HAVEN'T FOUND MUCH OF
ANYTHING ON THE CYBER ADVERTISING SYSTEMS GUYS, UNLESS PETE AND CYBER
ADVERTISING SYSTEMS ARE THE SAME GUYS, WHICH I TEND TO DOUBT. IF ANYONE HAS
INFO ON THEM, SEND IT TO ME PLEASE.)

Thank you for your report of the Success Courses SPAM. This SPAM is DID
originate from one of our users. This user signed on Monday 6/4/98 and the
SPAM started shortly thereafter. THE USER'S ACCOUNT WAS SUSPENDED THURSDAY
6/7/98 at about 11:00AM AND SPAM ORIGINATING FROM OUR SYSTEM HAS STOPPED TO
THE BEST OF OUR KNOWLEDGE. THIS IS A SOPHISTICATED SPAMMING SCAM IN WHICH THE
USER USERS THE DYNAMICALLY ASSIGNED IP NUMBER FROM THE DIAL-UP ACCOUNT AS A
BASE TO SEND THE SPAM EITHER THROUGH THEIR OWN MAIL SERVER OR A REMOTE MAIL
SERVER ON ANOTHER SYSTEM SO THAT NO E-MAIL TRAFFIC SHOWED UP IN OUR LOGS.
THIS IS WHY WE ORIGINALLY FELT THAT THE SPAM WAS NOT ORIGINATING ON OUR
SYSTEM. THANKS TO THE COOPERATION OF ANOTHER ISP WHOSE SYSTEM WAS RECEIVING
THIS SPAM, WE WERE ABLE TO CATCH THE USER ONLINE WHILE HE WAS SPAMMING AND
TRACE THE DYNAMICALLY ASSIGNED IP NUMBER TO HIS USER ACCOUNT. The user used
the name Jeff Scott (USERID SCOTTJ) and an address of 13428 Maxella Ave.,
Marina Del Rey, CA, 90292. We expect that both the name and address are bogus
as the voice number provided 310-306-3139 was a FAX number and has not
replied to our FAX's sent to it. [UPDATE: AS YOU CAN SEE FROM THE DEJANEWS
POSTING BELOW, JEFF SCOTT'S ADDRESS AND PHONE NUMBER WERE INDEED BOGUS. WE
WILL FOLLOW UP WITH MAIL BOXES, ETC TO SEE IF HE IS A CUSTOMER, AND ADVISE
THEM OF HIS ACTIVITIES.]

> To:            Shadow Warrior
> From:          poisoned at dart.se
> Date:          6 Jun 98 18:09:14 -0800
> Subject:       Re: Spammers 'munge' their phone numbers?
>
> buffalo95 at my-dejanews.com wrote:
>
> >The user used the name Jeff Scott (USERID SCOTTJ) and an address of 13428
Maxella Ave.,
> >Marina Del Rey, CA, 90292. We expect that both the name and address are bogus
> >as the voice number provided 310-306-3139 was a FAX number and has not
> >replied to our FAX's sent to it.
>
> This phone number can be found on
> http://itlnet.com/marina/mdr-cofc.html and belongs to:
>
> Mail Boxes, Etc.
> Owners Debbie & Alex Cheng
> 13428 Maxella Ave.
> Marina del Rey, CA 90292
> Tel: 310-827-4000 -- Fax: 310-306-3139
>
> Sven
> (posted in nanae and mailed)

The SPAM SCAM IS PART OF an advertising campaign produced and distributed by
Cyber Advertising Systems (no address) Ny, NY 10011. Their telephone number
is 1-800-409-8302 ext 1284. As of 6/4/98 at 9:00AM this phone system had
exceeded it's message limit and was not taking any additional messages. The
phone answering system is secured. Attempting to use another extension, like
0 for operator gets a prompt for a security code. (As of 6/6/98 the 1284
extension had been busied out)

The "advertising" (SPAM) campaign is being run by them for a company based in
PUYALLUP, Tacoma or Kent Washington (state-not D.C.): INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY
CORPORATION. Their working number as of 6/4/98 is 1-500-488-2035. Pick 2 as
your choice off the choice menu if you want to talk to a human, that's the
ORDER line choice. All other choices will be backed up or unmanned. The
number listed in the SPAM sent 6/3/98 (253-863-5522)has been disconnected as
of 6/4/98. This disconnected 253 number is located in Kent or Tacoma in
Washington (state).

[UPDATE: THE FIRST BIG CLUE: