! REQ: osteoblastic activity

Thor braforcap at usa.net
Thu Jun 11 10:51:42 EST 1998

(sorry if this is OT but I've not found a specific NG)

My purpose is to know more about how osteoblasts and osteoclasts can
affect the volume (length,width,shape) of an adult bone, in response to
any stimulus - mechanical stress or any other - provided it's not the
effect of health problems, like acromegaly.
I wonder how much an adult bone (I mean any, but say radius, ulna or
femur) can change its measures after the epiphyseal lines have closed,
in case it's not due to pathology.
I'm centered above all on blastic and clastic activity.

Mainly, I'm wondering if blasts and clasts can make a long bone (say
femur) larger and longer, or longer and thinner, or shorter and larger,
and so on - let's say, due to different physical activities and
mechanical stresses, different posture, etc. - and what can be the
extent of this effect.
To discover that, I'm also wondering if bone tissue can be built or
destroyed in any area of the bone, or if there are zones on which it is
permitted/forbidden to build/destroy tissue (for ex. take a femur, I
mean: over the external surface or deep under it, at the extremities or
in the middle). I'm speaking about volume variations, not about density
variations - however, both of them may occur at the same time.
Thanks in advance
Bye
                       Thor

braforcap at usa.net

P.S.:
In a previous answer, Phil wrote:
>Osteoblasts have mechanico receptors and much work is now focused on
>understanding how mechanical loading is converted in biological
This is interesting too. I'm looking for details, or papers on the Web.