Reposted w/permission: A Matloff email....

Richard Ottolini rick at pele.Stanford.EDU
Fri Jun 19 08:19:28 EST 1998

>:      Thanks for posting this very interesting article.  On one hand
>: we will be required to work until we are 70 to get Social Security
>: while on the other companies won't hire us after we reach middle
>: age.  Should make for some "interesting" times as middle aged street
>: people.  Anybody else out there think that things are getting just
>: a little screwy in the U.S.?

An interesting (non-scientific) retirement poll in the online USA Today
a couple days ago found about 60% of the respondees plan to retire
before 60.  Most people therefore aren't planning to wait to official
retirement age, but then again reality bites.

Another interesting statistical contradiction is that the stock
market is porking out from a wash of boomer retirement savings,
yet the government claims the US savings rate has never been lower.
How to reconcile this?