Sir Isaac Newton on Evolution

Casey casem at pangea.ca
Fri Nov 6 10:35:40 EST 1998

Sir Isaac Newton's Opinion on Evolution

     The following quote from Sir Isaac Newton's Opticks (Dover edition,
1979) will be unfamiliar to most people, even for those whose specialty is
physics, because we live in an age when our academic institutions,
including the public school systems, are largely controlled by humanists
and among these evolutionists [the very founder of our public system,  John
Dewey was a signatory to the Humanist Manifesto].     As a result the
phenomenon of historical revisionism has for quite a while kept from the
public historical data that would in any way give credit to Biblical
Christianity.
     The scholar Stanley Jaki of the University of Chicago has said that
there is indeed among modern day historians a real anti-Christian attitude.
     At any rate here is what Newton had to say about evolutionary
thinking:

     "  And if he [God] did so, it's unphilosophical to seek any other
Origin of the
        World,  or to pretend that it might arise out of a Chaos by the
mere Laws of
        Nature; though being once form'd, it may continue by those Laws for
many
        Ages."
                      (page 402)

And the reasons for his position against evolution:

     " For while Comets move in very excentrick Orbs in all manner of
Positions,
       blind Fate could never make all the Planets move one and the same
way in
       Orbs concentrick, some inconsiderable irregularities excepted …"

He goes on to site as evidence the bilateral symmetry observed in animals
and all the wonderfully made organs which,
     "…can be the effect of nothing else than the Wisdom and Skill of a
powerful
          ever-living Agent, who being in all Places, is more able by his
Will to move
          the Bodies within his boundless uniform Sensorium…"           (
Page 403)

     If humanists and evolutionists among them had such total control of
the educational system (and the media) in Newton's day as they do today,
Newton might well have been denied his doctorate and fellowship and his
funding would have dried up.    That's exactly what has happened to
numerous creationists today as documented by Jerry Bergman, Ph.D. in his
book The Criterion, he himself being a victim of religious discrimination
at his own university.    Many fine scientists such as the physicist Robert
Gentry, who has gained international reputation for his work on polonium
halos, have been fired from scientific institutions and have seen their
grant money dry up, because their research indicates creation rather than
evolution.
      Modern writers on creationism have considered only a few of the
historical facts and then fit them into preconceived notions and so have
erroneously concluded that creationism is really only a modern-day
phenomenon characterized by fundamentalist Christians disguising themselves
as scientists in order to sell the Bible.    This erroneous conclusion of a
much more serious phenomenon is the outcome of atheism discriminating
against Christianity.
     When we look at the criterion by which modern-day creationists are
discriminated against, it is hard not to believe that the same criterion
would have applied not only to Newton but to Copernicus, Galileo, Kepler,
Maxwell, Faraday, Kelvin, Mendel, and the list goes on.     But their
scientific accomplishments were acknowledged and established  before
Darwin's influence could gain total control and atheistic philosophy and
other anti-Christian philosophies could pervade our society and its
institutions.
      Consider also what Kepler wrote to Galileo and then ask yourself if
their religious discussion would be tolerated today any more than the
writings of today's creationists:

     " I yearned to discuss with you, most accomplished Galileo, in a
highly agreeable
       kind of discourse, the many undisclosed treasures of Jehovah, the
creator, which
       he reveals to us one after another."
                                                                   From
Kepler's Conversation with Galileo's
                                                                   Sidereal
Messenger (Johnson Reprint

Corporation , 1965) Page 11.

We have a great need for factual information in the ongoing debate on
creation and evolution and that's why I would recommend the reader to hear
Dr. Kent Hovind and Dr. Chittick who will be speaking this weekend.
You will learn a lot of useful information that most of our public
institutions will not offer.     But it is vital information if our science
and philosophy and indeed all aspects of our culture are to have a basis in
truth.

Geoff