Sir Isaac Newton on Evolution

Richard Hall rhall at uvi.edu
Wed Nov 11 17:34:42 EST 1998

All of which remains irrelevant.  To be certain, the idea of evolution
precedes Darwin and Wallace, but the science of evolution begins in the mid
1850's when both men presented persuasive, documented evidence to support
their ideas.  Evolutionary theory merely organizes fossil and now molecular
biological evidence that life on earth has changed immensely over the last
billion or so years.  Had Newton the opportunity to evaluate those initial
works or better, subsequent discoveries and modifications of evolutionary
theory, his views might well have been different.

My reticence to continue this dialog grows as your sophisms increase.  The
more involuted your arguments, the more tangential your resources, the more
certain I become that you are wasting your considerable energies
marginalizing the central, unifying theory of biological sciences.
Evolutionary theory is valid because it works well with the available
evidence with minimal assumptions.  Creationism has only one assumption,
someone started this process.  As a scientist, I really do not care about
the question of origins of life anymore than I worry about the proposed end
of our universe some 5-10 billion years in the future.   Religion,
spirituality, and compassion play an important role in the evolution of our
social structures, but have little to do with understanding speciation,
natural selection, and the genetic basis of phenotypic variations.

rlh

At 3:07 PM -0600 11/11/98, Geoff Casey wrote:,
>                    Do you not know your history of science in general and
>the history of evolution in particular?   [cut]
>                   Newton knew about the theory of evolution because the
>idea had been put forth by the ancient Greeks.

Richard Hall
Comparative Animal Physiologist
Division of Sciences and Mathematics
University of the Virgin Islands