Genetic engineering is a Good Thing?

Roger Whitehead rgw at office-futures.com
Thu Oct 1 16:12:50 EST 1998

In article <YmhTkHAkl3E2EwQU at upthorpe.demon.co.uk>, Oz wrote:
> Sorry, does that mean that you, presumably a non-farmer, would prefer
> farmers to use more chemicals?

As a non-farmer, but an interested consumer of what they produce, I am
delighted that farmers use chemicals. Civilisation would hardly have advanced
beyond the hunter-gatherer stage unless farmers had treated the land with the
chemicals contained in lime, ash and animal manure, to name but three sources.
Water is also quite a useful chemical in agricultural contexts.

The important questions, of course, are which chemicals and how much and
how often and where and when and on what and in which combination. These are
complex issues, not susceptible to such a simple response as "more" or "less".
So, I'm afraid I must decline your kind invitation to participate in that sort
of debate.

Regards,

Roger

PS Your tone suggests that you are a farmer. Are you?

Roger Whitehead,
14 Amy Road, Oxted, Surrey RH8 0PX, England
(Tel +44 (0)1883 713074; fax +44 (0)1883 716793)