Ashby dishonesty and bias (was: botanical facts

Peter Ashby p-ashby at nimr.MAPS.mrc.ac.uk
Fri Oct 2 03:59:38 EST 1998

In article <6v0f9p$q45$2 at whisper.globalserve.net>, yuku at globalserve.net

yuku at globalserve.net (Yuri Kuchinsky) writes:

> : |> Coarse is good. Nothing wrong with coarse if it provides clear answers.
>
> : But in this case, "coarse" means it doesnt provide clear anwsers.
>
> Show it.
>
> : Didn't Peter mention genetic drift?
>
> What about it?

Your memory really is slipping Yuri. I pointed out to you that there is
good evidence for the polynesians having gone through at least one genetic
bottleneck during their dispersal. Such a bottleneck could quite easily
account for the lack of group B in modern polynesians (the only group of
polynesians open to blood group analyis). Apart from bottlenecks, genetic
drift and environmental selection can also account for selective loss of
an allele from a population. Long ocean voyages and the need to adapt to
island life impose strong selective pressures on a population. Random
events (such as a cyclone with no NZ airforce relief) can also act to
restrict the genetic diversity of a population. Have you had enough
genetics yet Yuri or do you want me to go on?

Peter

--
Peter Ashby
Eukaryotic Molecular Genetics

Reverse the spam and remove to email me.