Ashby dishonesty and bias (was: botanical facts

Peter Ashby p-ashby at
Fri Oct 2 03:59:38 EST 1998

yuku at (Yuri Kuchinsky) writes:
> : |> Coarse is good. Nothing wrong with coarse if it provides clear answers.
> : But in this case, "coarse" means it doesnt provide clear anwsers.
> Show it.
> : Didn't Peter mention genetic drift?
> What about it?

Your memory really is slipping Yuri. I pointed out to you that there is
good evidence for the polynesians having gone through at least one genetic
bottleneck during their dispersal. Such a bottleneck could quite easily
account for the lack of group B in modern polynesians (the only group of
polynesians open to blood group analyis). Apart from bottlenecks, genetic
drift and environmental selection can also account for selective loss of
an allele from a population. Long ocean voyages and the need to adapt to
island life impose strong selective pressures on a population. Random
events (such as a cyclone with no NZ airforce relief) can also act to
restrict the genetic diversity of a population. Have you had enough
genetics yet Yuri or do you want me to go on?

Peter Ashby
Eukaryotic Molecular Genetics
Nat. Inst. Med. Res.

Reverse the spam and remove to email me.