Genetic engineering is a Good Thing?

irv4vz0c at my-dejanews.com irv4vz0c at my-dejanews.com
Thu Oct 8 10:39:24 EST 1998

> > [NB Still waiting for someone to quote a death due to properly handled
> > pesticides.]
>
> Just noticed this little trap in Farmer Oz's latest challenge. It allows any
> reported deaths to be defined as resulting from improper handling (should the
> antipodean agrarian so desire, of course).

My point exactly.  The reason I quote Bhopal and Vietnam is that "the proper
handling" must also include its production and all the uses it is prescribed
for anywhere in the world, not just in the industrialised West.  This also
includes its effects on the environment,  the surrounding countryside and the
groundwater.
The manufacturer and all the military personnel who used it always said that
A.O. was harmless.  The wake of its destruction in Vietnam is still noticeable
now two decades later.
People in thirdworld countries (and even in areas in firstworld countries)
have no absolute guarantee for their safety.  Laws are flaunted all the time,
and even when followed, in the end we are all guinea pigs for chemical
companies.  No one knows the long term effects of the thousands of chemicals
that have been turned loose on the world, just since WW2.