Staffan Bengtsson Staffan.Bengtsson at
Thu Oct 15 07:55:54 EST 1998

I'm a PhD-student working in the field of history of ideas, at the
Departmen of Aesthetics, Uppsala university, Sweden. Although I'm not a
professional in the field of biology or even the natural sciences in
general I would be most grateful if someone would have any information
about the origin of the use, but also the present use, of the term/concept
physiognomy/physiognomical in biology. Can someone suggest any book or
article on this matter? I've come across the use of the term 'physiognomy',
physiognomical' in relation to botany and vegetation related matters, in

Best regards,

Staffan Bengtsson

Staffan Bengtsson                Tel:     +46-70-441 42 00 (mobile)
Uppsala University               Fax:     +46-70-411 54 81 (mobile)
Department of Aesthetics,        Tel/fax: +46-8-641 13 03  (home)
Slottet, södra tornet, ing H     E-mail:  Staffan.Bengtsson at
S-752 37 Uppsala, Sweden         Address: Fatburstrappan 18,T6.3, S-118 26