Indologist confirms maize in ancient sculptures

schlaf at my-dejanews.com schlaf at my-dejanews.com
Thu Oct 15 07:15:01 EST 1998

In article <700beo$hot$1 at whisper.globalserve.net>,
  yuku at globalserve.net (Yuri Kuchinsky) wrote:
> Thanks for all this interesting info, Hu.
>
> All this is certainly very good evidence for ancient Americans
> contributing to world civilizations many centuries before Columbus.

 It's over two decades old and dismissed by subsequent investigations...
 (see quoted article at the end of this follow-up)

> Also, I have now shown conclusively, also using in part botanical
> evidence, that Native South Americans influenced the civilization of
> Easter Island (see my webpage).

 Nothing is conclusive in history, and you haven't proved anything by
restating Hyerdahl's old works.

 (snip)

 And I think this new evidence
> demonstrates quite clearly that a refusal to consider these matters
> seriously for so long has been the result primarily of entrenched
> Eurocentrism in mainstream Western anthropological and archaeological
> scholarship.

 ????  For over a hundred years Europeans have been giving the credit for the
originators of civilization to be Mesopotamia, Egypt, and the Indus Valley.
Exactly how is it Eurocentric to credit these obviously Non-White,
Non-European civilizations with so much?

 You make it sound as if all Western anthropologists & archaeologists follow
some odd Super White Aryan theories or something, when that is far from the
case.

> After all, to suggest that traditional cultures of Asia and America had
> important cultural links many centuries before the Great White God
> Columbus... is just so discomforting to so many?

 What is discomforting are people who draw so many conclusions from so little
& adjust the facts to fit thier views rather then the views to fit the
facts..

> Regards,
>
> Yuri.

 Yawn.....See what a two non-European non-American Hindus had to say about
the "Maize statues":

 Payak, M.M., and Sachan, J.K.S.
 1993 "Maize Ears Not Sculpted in 13th Century Somnathpur
         Temple in India." Economic botany. APR 01 1993, vol. 47
        no. 2, P. 202->

This article's abstract says:

The contention that objects in the hands of male and female deities sculpted
on the exterior of the Kesav Temple at Somnathpur near the city of Mysore,
Karnataka State, India, represent maize ears is rejected on linguistic,
religious, sculptural, archaeological, and botanical grounds. The stone
inscriptions associated with the temple list items or commodities used in
worship, maize is not included. We find no evidence for maize figuring in
any kind of religious ritual or worship.  The word for maize used currently
in the Kannada language is "Musukin Jola" which refers to a kind of millet
resembling sorghum (jola).  This appelation is of recent origin and does not
appear in any literary work contemporary with the period of construction  of
Somnathpur temple.  The wall images do not fully simulate in form and
proportion the actual human figures.  The beaded ornamentation, likewise, of
the hand-held object shows considerable variation and its comparison whether
on qualitative or quantitative basis with actual maize kernels of both
primitive and modern maize is inappropriate.  The variation in form and
proportion and stylistic features of these objects is ascribed to their being
the work of different sculptors.  Maize now grown near the temple comprises
modern cultivars, especially hybrids released during the early 1960's.  It is
inconceivable that none of the primitive and advanced types of maize
purported to be represented in the temple sculpture would have been
considered worthy of cultivation from
thirteenth century to the present time.  We hold that these temple sculptures
do not represent maize or its ear but an imaginary fruit bearing pearls known