BETA ACTIN?????

Dave O'Neill doneill2 at julian.uwo.ca
Thu Oct 15 17:04:42 EST 1998

HI,
Due to technical problems (received in sample buffer)  I was unable to
quantify the total protein content of my cultured P19 (embryonic stem
cells) cells.  I ran equal volumes on a mini-gel and then stained them
with commassie blue.  I quantified the entire lane and tried to estimate
relative protein loads.  Realizing this is a less desirable method, I
wanted to standardize my protein loads.  I was told I could immunoblot
with beta-actin.  I'm only concerned about equaling the loads in each
lane rather than the absolute protein content.

Is Beta Actin always proportion to total cellular protein?  Do you know
a I might find a basic review on Beta Actin?  Often textbooks fail to
mention its relative expression to total protein, or its induction??.
Any thoughts are appreciated.
Kind regards,
Dave O'Neill