Dioxins

Harold Lindaberry harlind at epix.net
Sat Oct 17 09:06:17 EST 1998

Larry Caldwell wrote:

> In article <6vr40t$hme$1 at nnrp1.dejanews.com>, tapiam at my-dejanews.com
> says...
>
> > > The manufacturer and all the military personnel who used it always said that
> > > A.O. was harmless.  The wake of its destruction in Vietnam is still noticeable
> > > now two decades later.
>
> > A.O was used as a weapon, the philosophy of its use was more related to a
> > napalm attack to an enemy than a modern farmer using a pesticide in the farm
> > where he and his family live. The objective of the use , the handling , the
> > precautions during the production and sale of the product are completely
> > different
>
> Military surplus Agent Orange was used in the USA by the Forest Service
> for about 3 years in the early 70's.  Even at that time, it was not
> approved for use on food crops or on humans.  Once they got the
> preliminary results on the danger of dioxin residues, they quit using it
> even for military purposes.

    Once out of vietnam there was no need for it.

>  The main ingredient, 2,4-5-T, is no longer
> manufactured because it proved impossible to manufacture without traces
> of dioxins.

    Not true.

> The chemicals (Orange was a mix) themselves were safe enough.  It was the
> trace contaminants that proved to be the problem.

    Only when in the ppm range which caused chlorachne.

> From an environmental standpoint, dioxin contaminants are caused by
> industrial processes.  Emission controls on gaseous and liquid effluents
> have sharply limited the amount of dioxins being released into the
> environment, but undisturbed river sediments downstream of most large
> cities still contains hazardous amounts of dioxins.  For instance, a
> couple years ago a survey of river mammals in the Columbia downstream of
> Portland, Oregon revealed a very high level of tissue abnormalities.
> About 80% of adult river otters displayed tumors or other tissue
> abnormalities.  Upstream of Portland, the tumors disappeared.

    Perhaps it is all of the women pissing birth control pills in the water supply ;-)

> Want to worry about something look up aflatoxin.

“ Nature limits what we can do, Science limits what we understand,
Theory what we can think, and Religion what we can hope “ Lindaberry 1998

Harold Lindaberry    reply E - mail    harlind at epix.net
visit OXGORE website at  http://www.epix.net/~harlind
RESEARCH GOES WHERE RESEARCH LEADS