Stomach growling

Gerard Tromp tromp at
Mon Oct 19 12:08:24 EST 1998

Jay Mone' wrote:
> Stomach growling is simply due to the churning of stomach contents by
> the stomach.  As the stomach churns, the contents are mixed and they
> make noise the same way as if you pressed vigorously on a partially
> filled water balloon.
> Jay Mone'

	I would wager that in most cases it is not actually the organ called
the stomach that is the source of the growling noises. Usually it is the
intestines in general and it is due to displacement of 'flatus', gases
produced by the bacterial flora in the gut.

Gerard Tromp, Ph.D.
CMMG, Wayne State University    vox:	313-577-8773
3116, Scott Hall		fax: 	313-577-5218
540 E Canfield Ave		e-mail: tromp at
Detroit, MI 48201                       gtromp at