Indologist confirms maize in ancient sculptures

Brian McLaughlin brianm at ims.com
Tue Oct 27 15:57:00 EST 1998

In article <mcculloch.2.67.3635E973 at osu.edu>, mcculloch.2 at osu.edu (Hu McCulloch) writes:
|> Correction --  In the posting below I mistakenly gave Johannessen's
|> article on sunflowers and maize in ancient Indian sculputres in
|> the Summer 1998 issue of NEARA Journal as the location of photos
|> of partially-husked maize ears.  In fact, the photos I was recalling
|> are in his article "Maize Diffused to India before Columbus Came
|> to America" in  the new volume _Across Before Columbus_, also
|> published by NEARA.  Figures 15 and 16 in the ABC article show
|> partially husked ears, while Figure 17 shows an ear with the
|> husks still on (but the silk removed).  Silk appears in other photos,
|> both in this article and in the earlier _Economic Botany_
|> article.  The latter are on Yuri's website given below.
|>
|> Technically, I believe the tassel is the male flower at the top
|> of the maize plant, rather than the silk at the top of the ear.
|> Brian appears to have the silk in mind rather than the tassel.

That is correct. I had in mind the silk.

I must say that, of the photos available on the web sites you
posted, I was unable to detect the presence of either husks
or silk. I would hope the printed photos in other sources are
much clearer in this regard than what I have seen.

I still say that kernals, husks and cornsilk would yield a
complete identification as maize. I have yet to see these
three elements, but I will try to hunt up the publications
you mentioned.

--
Brian McLaughlin, Technical Writer  |"Thanks to the Internet, misinformation
Integrated Measurement Systems, Inc.| now travels faster than ever before!"