Medicine's Ten Greatest Discoveries

David Lloyd-Jones dlj at pobox.com
Sun Sep 6 03:39:21 EST 1998

Mitchel L. Galishoff wrote in message
+ADw-35f1da2d.589447+AEA-news.mindspring.com+AD4-...
+AD4AIg-David Lloyd-Jones+ACI- +ADw-dlj+AEA-pobox.com+AD4- wrote:
+AD4APg-
+AD4APg-Quite apart from which more and more US jurisdictions are allowing
+AD4APg-chiropractors and +ACI-psychologists+ACI- to practice medicine, including hospital
+AD4APg-privileges, the ability to write legal prescriptions, and the right to
pile
+AD4APg-on and rape the insurance companies.
+AD4APg-
+AD4APg-This may help account for the fact that the United States is dead last in
+AD4APg-life expectancy among all the wealthy nations -- Canada, Western Europe
and
+AD4APg-Scandinavia, Japan, Taiwan, Singapore.
+AD4APg-

+AD4-You assume that the current Medical structure is responsible for
+AD4-differences in life expectancy between nations.  This is an assumption
+AD4-of cause and effect that cannot be demonstrated from any national
+AD4-survival statistical data.  The two factors may be linked, covariates,
+AD4-or incidental to each other.  Any cause and effect is assumption or,
+AD4-at best, a hypothesis in need of study.

If that is what I assume, please account for my use of the words +ACI-may help
explain.+ACI- Fool+ACE-

Galishov's stupid truism -- which can be more briefly put as +ACI-coincidence is
not causality+ACI- -- is one of the most common and fashionable snide remarks
current among dolts and poseurs. The fact is that +ACI-post hoc ergo propter
hoc+ACI- is not a logical proof -- but it is one of the most generally powerful,
and most likely to be successful, of all hypotheses. Numerical coincidence
would probably be its only competitor in these regards.

In somewhat the same sense, multiple regression analysis, which was
destroyed epistemologically by Locke and Hume a couple of centuries before
it actually came into general use, has no claim whatsoever to Platonic
logical rigor -- but is one of the most useful forms of explanation that we
have.  Usually right, on rare occasions wrong.

If Galishov has a list of other reasons for the failure of American medical
practice to serve the American people, I am willing to bet money that my
list is as long as his.  However I am unrepentant about my suggestion that
letting PhD's from mail-order psych schools prescribe powerful drugs in not
good for the general level of health.

Galishov's vague generality +ACI-current Medical structure+ACI- is his invention and
his responsibility. I stand by my more specific suggestions. Is it his
hypothesis that the admission of chiropractors to medical practice improves
either the general level of health or indeed the health of any individual?

                                                                       -dlj.