Medicine's Ten Greatest Discoveries

jshauser at flash.net jshauser at flash.net
Sun Sep 6 05:42:06 EST 1998

In article <6ssnap$17k at dfw-ixnews4.ix.netcom.com>,
  sbharris at ix.netcom.com(Steven B. Harris) wrote:
> In <8dkI1.1704$c3.3533280 at tor-nn1.netcom.ca> "David Lloyd-Jones"
> <dlj at pobox.com> writes:
>
> >Quite apart from which more and more US jurisdictions are allowing
> >chiropractors and +ACI-psychologists+ACI- to practice medicine,
> including hospital
> >privileges, the ability to write legal prescriptions, and the right to
> pile
> >on and rape the insurance companies.
> >
> >This may help account for the fact that the United States is dead last
> in
> >life expectancy among all the wealthy nations -- Canada, Western
> Europe and
> >Scandinavia, Japan, Taiwan, Singapore.
> >

> -dlj.
>
>    Not life expectancy at age 40.  Nor life expectancy in some parts of
> the United states, such as Utah and Minnesota.  These facts are enough
> to indicate the problem has nothing to do with the medical
> establishment, unless you think doctors and medicine are somehow
> different in Utah and Minnesota (and as a Utah doctor, I'd be
> interested in your very specific reasons for this, if you want to go
> that route.)
>
>    Low US life expectany is due to just one thing: high neonatal and
> infant mortality.  Part of that is due to the fact that the US counts
> many severely premature births as live births, whereas they are counted
> as miscarriages in countries where they quickly die.  We're handicapped
> already from that.  The second problem is that infant mortality, and
> mortality among male adolescents and young men in US inner cities,
> especially among minority groups, is far higher than the rest of the
> country (when even a few people die young, it does terrible things to
> average stats on life expectancy).  However, the US medical system is
> not to blame for crack babies or for young drug dealers shooting each
> other in the head.  These are not problems medicine can deal with.  Not
> anywhere on the planet.  And no matter how advanced.  Social problems
> these are, to be sure.  American social problems, to be sure.  Blame
> them on the country if you must, but don't blame them on the doctors.
>
>                                        Steve Harris, M.D.
>
> I dont think the issue of *blaming* any stat is on the physicians of this

country nor do I think in this matter. From my perspective and with a public
health background it is one of human behavior and associated responsiblities
of our behaviors. In this country we have a tremendous amount of freedom,
legal and illegal to make decisions which affect our health status. We are
also a country which is capitalistic and with this have made decisions
regarding our illness/health insurance policies. We are also a very
heterogeneous population with associated issues such as genetics. Our poor
ratings in many health stats is a confluence of factors. jsh