Jumping genes?

Svante Karlsson svantek at hem2.passagen.se
Fri Sep 18 12:41:51 EST 1998

Can segments of DNA "jump" between species creating mutation? The
following has come to my ears: A couple of years ago scientists did
genetic engineering on the DNA of a crop to make it resistant to some
form of a weed controlling. After some time they discovered that the
weed suddenly also was resistant to the same weed control. From that
they concluded that pieces of DNA must have "jumped" from the crop to
the weed.
   To me this seem rather fantastic. The source is a friend of mine.
Some years ago he had a girlfriend studying genetics at Frie Universität
of Berlin who told him this.
  If anybody knows anything in this issue please let me know even if
it's just to say that the scientists have found a plausible solution to
problem without referring to jumping genes.

Svante

PS. If you answer send a copy to my e-mail address (but remove the
NOCRAP section first).

--
Svante Karlsson

(countrycode) +40-6114121