Genetic engineering is a Good Thing?

'Toby' H D Bradshaw toby at u.washington.edu
Fri Sep 18 09:27:39 EST 1998

In article <taquilla.1256470037B at news.erols.com>,
Tracy Aquilla <taquilla at erols.com> wrote:
>In Article <6tr6p2$16h4$1 at nntp6.u.washington.edu>, toby at u.washington.edu
>('Toby' H D Bradshaw) wrote:

>>'Roundup-Ready' soybeans.  Bt-cotton.
>
>The relevant question is, what percentage of the total US soybean crop is
>now RR; what percent of the cotton crop is Bt? And how long after their
>first commercial introduction did it take to reach this level?

RR-soybeans were introduced commercially by Monsanto in 1996.  The first
year about 2.5% of U.S. soybean acreage was RR, and that proportion grew
to 15% in 1997.  In both years the entire supply of RR soybean seeds was
sold out.  Seed availability apparently is the major factor limiting the
market share of RR-soybeans in the U.S. at the moment.

I don't have the numbers handy for cotton, but again the growth in U.S.
market share has been limited by seed supply and not by demand.  Likewise
for RR-'Yield Guard'-maize, which was planted on 750K acres in the U.S.
this year.

Toby Bradshaw               | (206)616-1796 (voice)
College of Forest Resources | (206)685-2692 (FAX)
University of Washington    | http://poplar2.cfr.washington.edu/toby