Genetic engineering is a Good Thing?

Tracy Aquilla taquilla at erols.com
Fri Sep 18 07:22:36 EST 1998

In Article <6ttcpr$obe$1 at news1.epix.net>, Harold Lindaberry
<harlind at epix.net> wrote:

>    We did some evaluations on bt ( for about 5 or more years ) when it first
[snip]
>the material can have some nasty toxicological side effects.

Toxicological side effects of Bt? You must be thinking of the very first
formulations, some of which are known to produce a broad-spectrum
beta-exotoxin. Exotoxin-producing strains have long been prohibited in the
US. Of course, there are some minor effects from the carriers and other
inert ingredients found in some pesticide formulations, but none caused by
the Bt itself.

>When it was in a spray with limited a residual that probably was of
>little concern but if it is being incorporated into edible plants they better

The plants carry only delta-endotoxin genes. These proteins are non-toxic to
vertebrates. They have been analyzed for toxicity to no end, and have passed
all of the regulatory hurdles.
Tracy