Genetic engineering is a Good Thing?

Tracy Aquilla taquilla at erols.com
Fri Sep 18 17:53:24 EST 1998

In Article <6tubug$1gvg$1 at nntp6.u.washington.edu>, toby at u.washington.edu
('Toby' H D Bradshaw) wrote:

>It took 7 years for double cross maize acreage to go from 1% to 50%, even
>with unlimited seed.  If the growth rate was constant over that time, the
>doubling time was more than a year.  In one year, RR soybeans went from
>2.5% to 15%, for a six-fold increase even when seed was limiting.
>
>I still contend that today's U.S. farmers are accepting transgenics more
>quickly than their grandparents accepted hybrid maize.

Advertising probably had a lot to do with it. And perhaps the ten years+ of
field testing between initial production and commercial release also had an
impact. Since the new GE plants were so highly publicized, farmers were
already well aware of their traits by the time they hit the market, and they
were just waiting for the regulatory agencies to approve them.

>Note that in both
>eras farmers were pretty quick studies in the economics of commodity
>production.

Yes, see above. But how much money did the seed suppliers spend advertising
the new F1 hybrids back in the 1930s and 40s?
Tracy