Genetic engineering is a Good Thing?

Harold Lindaberry harlind at epix.net
Sun Sep 20 15:30:05 EST 1998

Marty Sachs wrote:

> In article <6u2ldj$bqu$1 at news1.epix.net>, harlind at epix.net wrote:
> > Having been around when hybrids first came out and in visiting many Ag
> >meetings at the time and seen yield data comparing inbred lines vs. hybrids
> >there were a number of inbred lines that out yielded many of the hybrids. IMO
> >one of the reason that hybrids made the quantum leap with hybrids ( from the
> >seed company standpoint at least ) is with inbred lines the farmer buys
> one bag
> >of seed catches the seed and he's in the seed business or at least he doesn't
> >have to buy seed next year whereas with hybrids if he catches the seed
> >replants, he has maturity and other characteristics all over the place.
> >Admittedly where hybrids may offer a somewhat wider range of conditions where
> >they work.
>
> A minor correction here. Before hybrid corn, farmers grew open pollinated
> varieties (OPVs) or land races, not inbreds.

    I screwed up on the terminology but there was an inbreeding process
to come up
with the OPV'S or at least that was my impression ( I'm not a corn
breeder ) but
there was some research in coming up with the lines but IMHO opinion not
nearly as
much as put in to hybrids.

“ Nature limits what we can do, Science limits what we understand,
Theory what we can think, and Religion what we can hope “ Lindaberry
1998

Harold Lindaberry    reply E - mail    harlind at epix.net
visit OXGORE website at  http://www.epix.net/~harlind
RESEARCH GOES WHERE RESEARCH LEADS.