Genetic engineering is a Good Thing?

Ian Staples ianst at refer.to.signature.au
Sun Sep 20 18:16:16 EST 1998

In article <6u3oqq$a5n$1 at news1.epix.net>, harlind at epix.net wrote:
>Marty Sachs wrote:
>> A minor correction here. Before hybrid corn, farmers grew open pollinated
>> varieties (OPVs) or land races, not inbreds.
>
>I screwed up on the terminology but there was an inbreeding process
>to come up with the OPV'S or at least that was my impression
>( I'm not a corn breeder ) but there was some research in coming up
>with the lines but IMHO opinion not nearly as much as put in to hybrids.

I'm not a corn breeder either, so my terminology may be a bit mixed too. :)
There seem to be some programmes aimed at developing good OPVs through a
process of recurrent selection.  However, I suspect a lot of the motivation
for this is to improve the base populations from which inbreds are
derived so as to get better inbreds and, therefore, better hybrids...

Cheers,  Ian S.

ianstDELETE at THISdpi.qld.gov.au