[QUESTION] How determine or define single channel conductances ?

sos tsnam at yumc.yonsei.ac.kr
Tue Apr 13 00:14:48 EST 1999

Hello, everyone !

As you know, ion channel conductance is dependent on the concentration of
the ions that is transported through the channel (so called "normal"
rectification). For example, when we increase the ion concentration, the
channel conductance measured by single channel current will also be
increased, even in the condition of same electrochemical potential gradient.
However, in some paper, the value of the ion channel conductances is
described without specifying the detailed ion concentration. In that
ase( namely, not mentioned about ion concentration or measured condition
such as symmetrical ? etc...), I wonder if there are any general rules(?) or
conditions(?) for defining(or describing) single channel conductances ?

Thank you in advance !!!
Good luck