the homunculus

Malcolm McMahon malcolm at pigsty.demon.co.uk
Tue Apr 20 01:13:51 EST 1999

On Mon, 19 Apr 1999 00:59:23 GMT, cijadra at zedat.fu-berlin.de
(Cijadrachon) wrote:

>If your German is better than my English, I shall be glad to continue
>in my language.

No, I've no doubt it's worse. I can just about survive in German
speaking countries but I have a very limited diet.

>I was referring to occupiers of Red Indian lands declaring persons
>from Africa to be their possession  and asked if your remark about
> it being someone's nature to serve and be slave to someone else
>had been inspired by such.   It had just been a rhetorical question.

Yes, but none the less I believe I answered it. The slave trade took
human beings, regardless of their nature and coerced them into service.
That's not at all what we're talking about. Human beings come with a
nature, though it's partly formed by childhood.

AIs, on the other hand, have no nature. The nearest thing to a nature is
the motivations we chose to give them.

The danger comes from our tendency to deny our own nature, and thus the
need to think about what kind of nature we will impart. If we do this
thing without thinking about it we could, conceivably, turn them into
monsters.

There's too much belief about in the idea that inteligence "overcomes"
nature. In reality inteligence doesn't change our basic goals, it just
makes us more devious about pursuing them.