100 Most Important Science Books

Bill Skaggs skaggs at bns.pitt.edu
Fri Nov 12 18:38:31 EST 1999

Assorted people write:

> >> I think it was Karl Popper who said "physics is the only true science- the
> >> rest are mere butterfly-collecting", or words to that effect. Not sure
> >that I
> >> agree, but a point worth considering.
> >
> >Since when was butterfly collecting not a science?

The actual quote is "All science is either physics or stamp
collecting" and it was Ernest Rutherford who said it, not Popper
(unless he said something very similar that I don't know about).
I would like to point out that there are meaningful differences
between butterfly collecting and stamp collecting.

	-- Bill