100 Most Important Science Books

Nick Medford nick at hermit0.demon.co.uk
Tue Nov 16 11:14:12 EST 1999

In article <stephan-1411990208530001 at we-24-130-94-102.we.mediaone.net
>, SA <stephan at nospam.ucla.edu> writes

[snip]

>As far as Freud not being a scientist, he certainly was a scientist,
>unfortunately science was not what it was today.

He certainly *claimed* that his psychoanalytic theories were scientific. But
even in his own time, these claims were widely questioned- for the good
reason that they were not subjected to scientific tests of validity. Quite the
opposite, in fact- they became a dogma. I'm not sure this was entirely Freud's
fault, as some of those who followed him were perhaps more responsible for
making psychoanalysis cultic and dogmatic.

However it was not until comparatively recently that certain Freudian ideas
(e.g. the notion of 3 basic personality types)  were tested scientifically- and
found to be wanting.

>  But you can't sit and
>criticize someone who basically replaced the idea that people who were
>mentally ill were possesed by evil spirits.

To say this is to seriously overestimate the contribution of Freud to
mainstream psychiatry (as opposed to psychoanalysis) and to seriously
underestimate the contribution of others such as Kraepelin, Wernicke,
Bleuler and Jaspers.

I don't want to dismiss Freud as obviously he helped to transform the way
we think about the mind. But to claim that he was rigorously scientific, or
that he was the first person to debunk ideas about demonic possession, is
well wide of the mark.

--
Nick Medford