dictyostelium discoideum - know about it?

gwailoh at my-deja.com gwailoh at my-deja.com
Wed Nov 24 17:49:45 EST 1999

I was perusing  the entertaining site:
http://munshi.sonoma.edu/jamal/weird.html

And I came across the following info about the abilitiy of this weird
organism called 'Dictyostelium discoideum' to form a multicelled creature.
Is it true, or can you point me in the right direction to find out?

"dictyostelium discoideum these normally single celled creatures can gather
together and form a multicelled creature when the going gets tough. and the
new creature is a creature in every way complete with cell specialization, a
reproductive system, and even self-awareness. apply this concept to yourself;
and to bee hives, schools of fish, flocks of birds, mobs, society, and the
stock market. and what do you make of those textbook theories that it took
millions of years for single celled organisms to evolve into multicelled
organisms? (uc san diego, 1999)"

thank you!

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.