SLUDGE-STOCK! Electronic Seminar on Wastewater Options for Urban Agriculture (fwd)

rosaphil rugosa at interport.net
Thu Oct 7 18:50:53 EST 1999

SCHLURPPEES ANYONE?

+********** Snail me yer rosehips if you liked this post! ************
*Better Living Thru Better Living!* http://www.interport.net/~rugosa *

Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 16:42:18 -0400

>>The Integrated Bio-Systems Network and the Institute of Advanced Studies of
>>the United Nations University (Tokyo) cordially invites you to join an
>>electronic Seminar via Internet.
>>

>>TITLE: Community-Based Technologies for Domestic Wastewater
>>          Treatment and Reuse: options for urban agriculture
>>
>>DATE: 4-29 Oct. 1999
>>PRESENTED BY: Mr. Gregory Rose, School of Planning, University
>> of Waterloo, Ontario, Canada. http://www.fes.uwaterloo.ca/u/gdrose/
>>
>>SPONSOR: Institute of Advanced Studies, United Nations University, Tokyo
>>(http://www.ias.unu.edu)
>>
>>REGISTRATION: free of charge
>>(a) send an email to listserv at segate.sunet.se
>>and use the subscription command:
>>SUB ET-W2 yourfirstname yourlastname, organization
>>e.g. SUB ET-W2 Gregory Rose, U of Waterloo
>>or
>>(b) register via http://segate.sunet.se/archives/et-w2.html
>>
>>DISCUSSION PAPER:
>>The discussion paper for the seminar is available at
>>http://www.fes.uwaterloo.ca/u/gdrose/uetext.htm . If you dont have web
>>access, you can request for a hardcopy of "CFP Report 27" (free of charge)
>>from Jeff Pelletier <jpelletier at idrc.ca> or Brenda Lee Wilson
>><blwilson at idrc.ca> at IDRC (note: please give 3-4 weeks for processing and
>>airmail delivery).
>>
>>SUMMARY:
>>The seminar is based on the IDRC report which comprises a literature review
>>related to alternative options for managing human waste or "bio-waste" in
>>the urban context. The aim of the report is to review recent developments
>>in naturally-based wastewater TREATMENT, RECOVERY and REUSE options and to
>>explore how alternative interventions could potentially contribute to the:
>>i) provision of sanitation; ii) conservation/protection of fresh water
>>resources; iii) improvement of soil integrity; and, iv) production of
>>value-added products through linkages with URBAN AGRICULTURE.  Overall, the
>>report suggests that alternatives exist to highly capitalised and
>>centralised biowaste treatment systems that are dependent on water-borne
>>conveyance and electromechanical inputs for operation and maintenance.
>>
>>The report explores the concept of managing urban wastewater flows at zero
>>and intermediate distances, based on urban micro-watersheds, and reviews
>>several technological interventions that may act as key components of
>>integrated bio-systems (IBS).  The report is divided into two major
>>sections.  SECTION A is comprised of the problem background and reviews
>>central themes associated with the management of bio-waste in an urban,
>>developing world context.  This section also suggests that zero-discharge
>>systems are requisite to decreasing the environmental externals that accrue
>>from community to city to ecosystem to biosphere when linear discharge
>>options are favoured.  SECTION B reviews selected treatment and recovery
> [...]

libby at igc.apc.org       Libby J. Goldstein       phone & fax: 215-465-8878
            Philadelphia      USDA zone 7A       Sunset zone 32

        My garden must be n-dimensional if it's out here in cyberspace.

of the e-mail.

If you have any questions about or problems with this mailing list,
please send e-mail to the list moderator Dave Lutz at
nosc at treebranch.com.
the environment, open space, and related urban issues in New York
City.