SLUDGE-STOCK! Electronic Seminar on Wastewater Options for Urban Agriculture (fwd)

rosaphil rugosa at
Thu Oct 7 18:50:53 EST 1999

+********** Snail me yer rosehips if you liked this post! ************
*Better Living Thru Better Living!* *

Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 16:42:18 -0400

>From the CYBERPARK mailing list:
>>The Integrated Bio-Systems Network and the Institute of Advanced Studies of
>>the United Nations University (Tokyo) cordially invites you to join an
>>electronic Seminar via Internet.
>>TITLE: Community-Based Technologies for Domestic Wastewater
>>          Treatment and Reuse: options for urban agriculture
>>DATE: 4-29 Oct. 1999
>>PRESENTED BY: Mr. Gregory Rose, School of Planning, University
>> of Waterloo, Ontario, Canada.
>>SPONSOR: Institute of Advanced Studies, United Nations University, Tokyo
>>REGISTRATION: free of charge
>>(a) send an email to listserv at
>>and use the subscription command:
>>SUB ET-W2 yourfirstname yourlastname, organization
>>e.g. SUB ET-W2 Gregory Rose, U of Waterloo
>>(b) register via
>>The discussion paper for the seminar is available at
>> . If you dont have web
>>access, you can request for a hardcopy of "CFP Report 27" (free of charge)
>>from Jeff Pelletier <jpelletier at> or Brenda Lee Wilson
>><blwilson at> at IDRC (note: please give 3-4 weeks for processing and
>>airmail delivery).
>>The seminar is based on the IDRC report which comprises a literature review
>>related to alternative options for managing human waste or "bio-waste" in
>>the urban context. The aim of the report is to review recent developments
>>in naturally-based wastewater TREATMENT, RECOVERY and REUSE options and to
>>explore how alternative interventions could potentially contribute to the:
>>i) provision of sanitation; ii) conservation/protection of fresh water
>>resources; iii) improvement of soil integrity; and, iv) production of
>>value-added products through linkages with URBAN AGRICULTURE.  Overall, the
>>report suggests that alternatives exist to highly capitalised and
>>centralised biowaste treatment systems that are dependent on water-borne
>>conveyance and electromechanical inputs for operation and maintenance.
>>The report explores the concept of managing urban wastewater flows at zero
>>and intermediate distances, based on urban micro-watersheds, and reviews
>>several technological interventions that may act as key components of
>>integrated bio-systems (IBS).  The report is divided into two major
>>sections.  SECTION A is comprised of the problem background and reviews
>>central themes associated with the management of bio-waste in an urban,
>>developing world context.  This section also suggests that zero-discharge
>>systems are requisite to decreasing the environmental externals that accrue
>>from community to city to ecosystem to biosphere when linear discharge
>>options are favoured.  SECTION B reviews selected treatment and recovery
>>technologies that I have identified as noteworthy and potentially
>>appropriate for treating and recovering bio-waste and facilitating its
>>reuse at the local-level.
>>Mr. Gregory Rose ( is a Ph D student
>>at the University of Waterloo in the Faculty of Environmental Studies
> [...]

libby at       Libby J. Goldstein       phone & fax: 215-465-8878
            Philadelphia      USDA zone 7A       Sunset zone 32

        My garden must be n-dimensional if it's out here in cyberspace.

If you no longer wish to receive e-mail from this list, please send a
message to cyberpark at with the word UNSUBSCRIBE in the
subject of the e-mail.

To receive a quick reference guide about this mailing list, send a
message to cyberpark at with the word HELP in the subject
of the e-mail.

If you have any questions about or problems with this mailing list,
please send e-mail to the list moderator Dave Lutz at
nosc at
This list is operated by the Neighborhood Open Space Coalition,
Friends of Gateway, and TREEBRANCH.COM on behalf of it's sponsor.
Visit on the web to learn more about
organizations sponsoring mailing lists and/or web sites concerning
the environment, open space, and related urban issues in New York