Genetics Question

Sat Oct 23 10:47:33 EST 1999

Last night's TV movie "Evolution's Child" starring Ken Olin (USA Network,
October 23rd) raised some questions for me ( a humble non-biochem chemist):

1) the child, product of a Bronze Age (frozen) man and a modern woman, had a
strong "genetic"(?) memories of his father's past world;
2) the immune system of the child was described as having "antibodies to
anthrax, plague, etc"- presumably from his father, but died from a modern
flu strain- implying no transfer of immunity from his mother.

There seem to be sevral glaring errors of logic (yes, I know it was SciFi
and made an interesting and entertaining story!):
a) are memories "inherited"?...the ones (father trudging through a killing
blizzard) as were depicted hardly seem transferrable- I can certainly see
how athletic and even mathematical ability could be inherited, but not

b) how could the child logically inherit his father's immune system and not
his mother's (which would have potentailly prevented his death from a
"modern" flu)?

Any answers would be to this group; to or to:

Dan Paschal
dcp7451 at