eye color

Nick Theodorakis nicholas_theodorakis at urmc.rochester.edu
Fri Sep 24 12:46:55 EST 1999

In article <2596fd39.251b1006 at aol.com>, GPJHSH at AOL.COM
wrote:
>  heres the question: i am a girl, my father has blue
> eyes , my mother  has
> blue eyes and i have brown eyes. is this possible?

A search of the Online Mendelian Inheritance in Man (OMIM)
at: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/omim/
with the phrase "eye color" turns up this:

(*227240 EYE COLOR 1; EYCL1)

Eye color is likely to be a polygenic trait. The early view
that blue is a simple recessive has been repeatedly shown to
be wrong by observation of brown-eyed offspring of 2 blue-
eyed parents. My monozygotic twin brother and I, brown-eyed,
had blue-eyed parents and blue-eyed sibs. Blue-eyed
offspring from 2 brown-eyed parents is a more frequent
finding. In some Norwegian families, Gedde-Dahl (1981) found
diffusely brown eyes or centrally brown eyes segregating as
simple dominant traits, symbolized BEY1. Possible linkage to
Km (Inv) and to Co was found, suggesting the order Jk--Km--
BEY1--Co. (Co and Km are not measurably linked.) In a
linkage study, Eiberg et al. (1986) scored eye color in a
questionnaire as purely blue, green, gray, brown, or 'don't
know.' The presence of brown areas or spots were also noted.
For the purpose of linkage analysis, they assumed 2 main
loci: (1) a 'green/blue' locus (GEY) with a dominant allele
for green and a recessive allele for blue, and (2) a 'brown/
blue' locus (BEY) with a dominant allele for brown and a
recessive for blue. Linkage of GEY with Lutheran and
secretor (located on chromosome 19 at q13.1) was
found. They reported a lod score of 3.37 (theta = 0.0 for
males and 0.07 for females) against Lutheran and of 1.79 (at
theta = 0.1 in males) against secretor, from observations
largely in different families. In the full report, Eiberg
and Mohr (1987) reported a combined lod score of 9.19 for
linkage between GEY and the Lutheran-secretor systems. They
also found evidence for linkage of GEY to brown hair color
(113750) with a lod score of 5.06.