BIOLOGICAL ALCHEMY !

Rob Virkus r-virkus at ti.com
Thu Apr 6 11:15:52 EST 2000

Amw wrote:

> Rob Virkus wrote:
>
> > Robert,
> >
> > It seems like you believe everything. If this were true it would have
> > been seen in the 1950's and widely known by know.  I'll bet you buy
> > Hoyle's theory of Panspermia (life evolved on space and seeded the
> > earth).
>
> Actually this is not as far out an idea as it originally sounds. We've found
> several organic chemicals in large molecular clouds in interstellar space.
>
> But as a general theory it leaves alot to be explain. It simply pushes the
> problem of the origin of life from here to somewhere else. While it expands
> the time frame, it still leaves alot to be explained as far as the mechanism.
>
> Ben

Ben,

Actually, I agree with you. It could be considered rather provincial to insist
that life had to evolve only on earth. In the evolutionary model of the origin
of life, one should have to defend the earth origin rather than assume it.  And
problem is a good word since we still have not good model, as far as I know,
for molecular evolution which is a huge problem compared to Darwinian
evolution of already existing life. However I am not attempting to go off
of physics here.