BIOLOGICAL ALCHEMY !

Amw Amw at slac.stanford.edu
Sun Apr 9 02:13:48 EST 2000

Rob Virkus wrote:

> Amw wrote:
> <Re: Panspermia>
> > Actually this is not as far out an idea as it originally sounds. We've found
> > several organic chemicals in large molecular clouds in interstellar space.
> >
> > But as a general theory it leaves alot to be explain. It simply pushes the
> > problem of the origin of life from here to somewhere else. While it expands
> > the time frame, it still leaves alot to be explained as far as the mechanism.
> >
> > Ben
>
> Ben,
>
> Actually, I agree with you. It could be considered rather provincial to insist
> that life had to evolve only on earth. In the evolutionary model of the origin
> of life, one should have to defend the earth origin rather than assume it.  And
> problem is a good word since we still have not good model, as far as I know,
> for molecular evolution which is a huge problem compared to Darwinian
> evolution of already existing life. However I am not attempting to go off
> of physics here.

The theory is improving. While not complete we can take a simple
mix of chemicals and get the basic building blocks of life. But if
we can create life using the conditions of the primal earth as a
reference, it may not be that much harder to use the conditions
of large interstellar molecular clouds.

In short, the central problem of panspermia is that it tells us
nothing about the origin of life, which is why it is a minority
theory. It just says that the origin was elsewhere, which may
or may not be true.

Ben