Your thesis, and some other guys.

taguebwREMOVE at taguebwREMOVE at
Tue Aug 15 09:50:33 EST 2000

In article <rgrant-3091E4.13403515082000 at>, "Richard P.
Grant" <rgrant at> wrote:

> Contentville is a for-profit organization that is selling doctorate
> dissertations.
> The authors allegedly get royalties.  How can they sell your copyrighted
> material without your consent?
> Is your thesis here?  Did you even know?  WTF is going on?

I don't *think* this is a copyright infringment. When I submitted my
thesis (which is on the contentville site), I was required to deposit my
thesis with UMI Disseration Abstracts. UMI is in the business of
reproducing and selling theses *and* they "act as your agent with the
Library of Congress Copyright Office."

AFAIR, I had to allow UMI to distribute my thesis (i.e., they have my
written consent to publish).

It looks like contentville is acting a clearing house for UMI's product
(from the contentville site: "Disseration orders are fulfilled by UMI
Dissertations Publishing..").

As far as royalties go, guess we have to trust the companies...

My 2 electrons,

Remove "REMOVE" to reply