Your thesis, and some other guys.

Keith Bradnam keith at thale.nott.ac.uk
Tue Aug 15 10:49:40 EST 2000

On Tue, 15 Aug 2000, Richard P. Grant wrote:

> Contentville is a for-profit organization that is selling doctorate
> dissertations.
> The authors allegedly get royalties.  How can they sell your copyrighted
> material without your consent?
>
> Is your thesis here?  Did you even know?  WTF is going on?

I can't seem to get through to the site to look at it, but...

I seem to recall when I submitted my PhD thesis (University of
Nottingham, UK) that I had to sign a form which said that I would get
royalties from any copies that were made after the first two (or some
other low number).  I was under the impression that one copy ended up in
the British library, or at least can be ordered through the British
library, and they send the royalties back to Nottingham University.

I remember the form never actually stated what rate the royalties were.
Frankly, I can't see many people paying for my thesis :)

They presumably are taking their own cut for doing this?

Keith

~  Keith Bradnam - Developer, Arabidopsis Genome Resource (AGR)
~  Nottingham Arabidopsis Stock Centre - http://nasc.nott.ac.uk/
~  University Park, University of Nottingham, NG7 2RD, UK
~  Tel: (0115) 951 3091