More websites and subjects from me....

Arthur Sowers arthures at magpage.com
Sat Aug 19 11:11:45 EST 2000

On Fri, 18 Aug 2000, Halpern wrote:

> Arthur Sowers wrote:

> Ah but he doesn't go, does he?

Oh...maybe what you are trying to say is that I said I was going to quit
src altogether. Another mistake. I just said my presense would diminish
considerably. Or....is this another one of "josh's
guess-what-I'm-thinking-games"?

> > > Getting funding for a mess of them.  Next question.
> > Let us know when you get it.
>
> You doubt it.

No. Just let us know when you get it. If you dont' get it, you don't have
to say.

If you get it, I will congratulate you. If you don't get it, I won't
laugh.

> Never fear,

I always fear.

> things are ticking along, but
> as always funding is a constant challange.

Yes. Agreed.

> With the
> {irony on) big bucks (irony off) goes the big responsibility
> (no irony).

I have no idea exactly what your responsibility is. At
institutions where they are "serious" about research, what it means is
that if you don't bring in the (sarcasm on) big bucks (sarcasm off), then
you at least lose your lab space and at most, lose your career.

> >  Next question: rephrasing the prior question-
>
> > What else are you doing on the newsgroup 'for' people?
>
> This is a service organization?

See below...

 Over the years, I've added
> a fair amount to the discussion.

By your sentence above, you answered the question in the prior question.

 In fact, if you go back to
> when I joined up, my posts have lead you to modify your
> position,

Oh, really? Like what did I say before and what did I change in response
to you? The only modification on my position was to ADD material to my
website. My new interests (new websites) are in non-career subjects.

> especially with respect to industrial positions among
> other things.

Industrial positions? There are a lot of them that are occupied by PhDs
when they don't need PhDs to get those jobs.

And, as far as I am concerned, "industrial positions" is just another term
for "nonacademic jobs," which is another term for "jobs in the commercial
sector" which in turn may be described as activities to produce goods or
services for immediate earning or earnings at a forseeable near term point
in time.

And, just for the record, my sci-career website has lots of references to
URLs, book titles, reviews of career books, and journal articles.

  Arthur E. Sowers, PhD
| Science career information websites:  |
| http://freeshell.org/~advocacy        |
| http://www.magpage.com/~arthures      |
| More 'public interest' websites...    |
|   ...subject is embedded in URL:      |
| http://freeshell.org/~layoffs         |
| http://freeshell.org/~golinux         |
|       (more in future)                |