Are there "Identical Twin" plants?

George Hammond ghammond at mediaone.net
Mon Dec 18 04:57:01 EST 2000

Dennis G. wrote:

> If life, plant or otherwise, has fixed limits to growth set by the genome, then
> the limits of variation are fixed. Presumably, by 'god'.

GH:  This is interesting intuitive phraseology now that you mention it.
     As a physicist I'm seeking a "maximal generalization" of the
     NATURE-NURTURE situation for biological organisms.  To that end,
     I advance the following proposition:

                 HAMMOND'S FIRST LAW OF AUXOLOGY

            In general plants and animals have a predetermined
          adult genetic size, this is referred to as their
          NATURE.  However, observation leads us to conclude
          that in fact, the population MEAN size of any species
          in the natural environment always manifests a
          significant "asymptotic growth curve decrement" showing
          that in effect, no living organism has yet been able to
          achieve it's theoretical genetic size. This is referred to
          as their NURTURE.
            In fact, in human beings, the long slow historical
          reduction of this growth deficit is scientifically known
          as the "Secular Trend".  It is posited that there is
          in fact, a Secular Trend for ALL living organisms, and
          probably more rapid the higher the organism.
            Finally, it has been advanced that this growth deficit
          as manifested by the human brain, is intimately connected
          with the psychological phenomena traditionally known as "God".

If I could have your reaction to that thesis, I would be
quite interested.
              Hammond

--
BE SURE TO VISIT MY WEBSITE, BELOW: