Hammond's Law of Auxology

George Hammond ghammond at mediaone.net
Fri Dec 22 23:36:13 EST 2000

Dave Knorr wrote:

& I agree with others who have posted on this discussion that Hammond's
& assertions are confusing at best.

GH:  So is Einstein's Theory to people who properly belong
     in the skilled trades.

& In trying to understand the importance he
& attaches to the "auxology", which I translate to mean "an organism can
grow
& no larger than it can", he provides some incite [sic, insight]
& in his reply to me:
&

GH:
  "an organism can grow no larger than it can"
Yes... that is a correct statement of the relation of the
phenotype to the genotype.  It accounts for all sigmoidal
curves of growth.

& <start GH quote&
& As far as the question of "how does this Law prove God
& exists"... that is a SEPARATE ISSUE, properly discussed on
& a philosophy or Theology newsgroup.  But, parenthetically,
& let me explain that it is not complicated.  To wit, if
& there is a growth curve deficit as I have argued, then it
& obviously must exist for every organ in the body including
& the human BRAIN.  Obviously according to this 15 or 20%
& of the human brain is actually only "PARTIALLY GROWN" in
& the average human being.  The theory argues (and proves BTW)
& that the average human being only sees "80% of reality"
& because of this, and, not incredibly, refers to the other
& 20$ as "God".  See my website for further details.
& </end GH quote&
&
& I have a problem with the notion that an organism with a stunted body also
& has stunted brain size

GH:  This is a proven fact, not an argument. Beyond that
     it's it's intui9tively obvious to even an
     uneducated observer, where it's known as
     "uniform first order allometry".

&(_not the same as brain development_) and is somehow
& less-able to view reality than another organism.

GH:  This is also a proven fact (e.g. mental Retardation)
     and not an argument.

&  There's too many
& assumptions being made.

GH:
  Those who are ignorant of the facts like to call them
assumptions.
 I appreciate your problems, but they are only the usual
mundane problems of education.

&  Also, it's unclear how a plant with smaller leaves
& is different than its genetically identical twin with slightly larger
& leaves.

GH:
It's called a "growth curve deficit"

& Dave Knorr