idea about antibiotics

Rusty Cooper cooper_rusty at
Tue Feb 22 12:38:19 EST 2000

On Mon, 21 Feb 2000 09:30:17 +0200, Olli Niemitalo
<oniemita at> wrote:

>I'm a complete amateur in this field, but got an idea i find
>"brilliant" (huh?)...
>Why are antibiotics given only one sort at a time? If you gave say two
>different sorts of antibiotics at a time, the probablility for a microbe
>to develop resistence would be in my thoughs be nearly to 2nd power
>-> extremely small! Why did they never think about this, or am i being
>the stupid here?
Bacteria do not instantly develop resistance to a particlar
antibiotic.  It takes time and the length of time depends upon the
generation time of the particular bacterium among other things.

The biggest reason is that delivering two does does not yield
predictable results.  Not all interaction between antibiotics can be
predicted and the risk often outweighs the gains.

Want more from your time online, like some cash?

Try these: