Linux vs UNIX for bioinformatics

Keith Bradnam keith at thale.life.nottingham.ac.uk
Fri Feb 25 06:28:06 EST 2000

Hello,

Does anybody have any experience of performing intensive bioinformatics
tasks (e.g. running blast searches, serving databases to the outside
world) on PCs running linux as oppposed to Suns or DECs?

We are currently looking to upgrade our Sun servers and are curious
whether switching to Linux on high-end PCs is a better (and maybe cheaper)
option for doing bioinformatics.

Thanks in advance,

Keith

~  Keith Bradnam - Developer, Arabidopsis Genome Resource (AGR)
~  Nottingham Arabidopsis Stock Centre - http://nasc.nott.ac.uk/
~  University Park, University of Nottingham, NG7 2RD, UK
~  Tel: (0115) 951 3091