Bioethics

Brian Foley btf at lanl.gov
Fri Jan 21 15:13:57 EST 2000

Richard L. Hall wrote:

> No.
>
> They may be an irritant to humans but they fit in specific ecological
> niches and play specific roles.  If you have been asleep for the past
> 28 years you might be unaware of several important advances in our
> understanding of ecosystems.  If you are religious, recall these are
> also god's creatures.  Either way, they stay.

	So, playing "devil's advocate" here: What is your
position on the last isolates of smallpox virus, stored under
liquid nitrogen.  Should they be released back into the
human population to carry out the virus's role in the ecosystem?
	Should we stop trying to erradicate the polio virus?
Should we ban the sale or rodent poisons and let rats and
mice run free in our cities so they can spread plague?

	I'm not in favor of extermination or extinction of
any or all species that we deem to be "inconvenient" to
humans.  But I also don't think that it is necessarily
"moral" or "ethical" to let all creatures carry out their
"natural plan".

	Our understanding of ecosystems has indeed increased
in the last decades, but this does not mean that we now have
all the answers.

> rlh
>
> >Should certain species intentionally be eradicated, e.g. mosquitoes,
> >poisonous animals, weeds?
> >
> >Marcus
>
> --
> Richard L. Hall, Ph.D.
> Comparative Animal Physiologist
>
> University of the Virgin Islands
> 2 John Brewers Bay
> St. Thomas, U.S.V.I. 00802
>
> 340-693-1386
> 340-693-1385 FAX
>
> rhall at uvi.edu
>
> "Live life on the edge...the view is always better"  rlh
>
> ---

|Brian T. Foley               btf at t10.lanl.gov                 |
|HIV Database                 (505) 665-1970                   |
|Los Alamos National Lab      http://hiv-web.lanl.gov/         |
|Los Alamos, NM 87544  U.S.A.                                  |