Startup co. to provide powerful parallel computing resources: requests commentary on algorithms

Richard P. Grant rgrant at netscape.net
Wed Jul 26 08:13:20 EST 2000

In article <NBif5.1977$kh.243535 at news2.rdc2.on.home.com>, "Chris Chan"
<chrischan at home.com> wrote:

>     To briefly elaborate, our project will allow any computer that is
> connected to the Internet to participate in solving computationally
> intensive problems. There is an unused resource of many thousands of
> computers out there on individual desktops, and we have designed and are
> building a system to allow efficient use of this untapped resource.

So this is based on the Seti at home model, yesno?

> We do
> recognize that intellectual property and security issues are of paramount
> importance, and our system is designed from the outset to address security
> as the most critical issue.

So would the people making their computers available actually get paid
$$$ ?

If not, why would they do it?

(SETI is different, in this case)

Richard P. Grant MAD Phil       http://www2.mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk/personal/rpg/
Structural Studies              http://www.scienceboard.net/
MRC-LMB                         Please reply to rpg 'at' mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk