similar animals with very different chromosome numbers

nospam at nospam at
Mon May 8 04:08:08 EST 2000

This message has been posted by:  m.mitchell at (Mike Mitchell)

In article <8euo12$ra$1 at>, Nick Theodorakis
<nicholas_theodorakis at> wrote:

> In article <39129EB3.F95F773D at>,
>   Michel Kerszberg <mkersz at> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am trying to find an old reference. I remember vividly seeing, in a
> > (text?)book on evolution, two black-and-white pictures side by side;
> > they were of two antelope-like animals --- maybe one was a marsupial?
> > from South America? --- anyway they looked extremely similar, but in the
> > pictures' legend it said that one of them had 4 chromosomes, maybe, and
> > the other 24 -- maybe.
> >
> > I am racking my brains to try and remember where I saw that picture...
> > Anyone can help? Thanks very much!
> >
> > Michel.
> I seem to recall that it was two kinds of muntjac -- a type of Asian deer
> (also called the "barking deer"). You might be thinking of the Indian
> muntjac and the Chinese muntjac.

>From a quick rummage around in MedLine I found that the Indian Muntjac
has 6 pairs of chromosomes while the Chinese Muntjac has 46 pairs.

Michael Mitchell                 "Smoke me a kipper,
User Support                  I'll be back for breakfast."
Molecular Biology Software      Ace Rimmer, Test Pilot
+44 (0)171 269 3115                BBC-TV Red Dwarf           ENFJ