genome?

csc un691cs at genius.embnet.dkfz-heidelberg.de
Wed May 24 05:34:42 EST 2000

On 24 May 2000, Dmitri Benevolensky wrote:

-Can anyone tell me what is genome?

It is all semantics, right ?

My opinion (you can cite me if you want to) the genome is the complete set
of genetic information found in an organsim. To include the expression
"chromosomes" restricts the definition too much IMHO, since a chromosome
is also defined in a certain manner. I would certainly include
mitochondrial and chloroplast DNA in this definition. Withour them, you
would be lost, right ?

Kind regards,                                Clemens Suter-Crazzolara, PhD
 - Genius -         German Cancer Research Center DKFZ            European
 The German         Dept. Molecular Biophysics (H0200)                Data
 EMBnet             INF 280, 69120 Heidelberg, Germany            Resource
 node               phone ++49 6221-4223-32    fax -33               (EDR)
* The Biocomputing Service Group:       http://genome.dkfz-heidelberg.de *
Training in Bioinformatics:  http://genome.dkfz-heidelberg.de/stz/trn.html
                    Customized Bioinformatics Support
           http://genome.dkfz-heidelberg.de/stz/service.html