Another Study Raps Ph.D. Overproduction

Arthur Sowers arthures at magpage.com
Sat Sep 30 08:55:22 EST 2000

Good work, Allen.

I had a brief look and, yes, it pertains to the life sciences. A lot more
was said that is of interest but I don't have time just now to comment as
much as I'd like. One thing, at the end of the first paragraph
(section?) is a line "As another observer points out, NRC reports are
political documents whose messages are carefully calibrated....", as you
quoted it, and it goes along with what I've said many times. NSF and the
rest of them will massage the data into a picture that things are "not so
bad" and when anyone looks at the statistics that say average PhD salaries
are $60-70K the say to themselves, "that ain't so bad at all" but it
covers up a lot of agony, pain, and disappointment. It was only a few
years ago that inside the Am Soc Cell Biol there was a lot of discussion
about the poor job market for biologists and yet they society spent (per
their newsletter) $34K to print up a nice new slick color brochure on the
rosy bioscientist career. I wrote a "negative" letter to one of the
muck-mucks about why they speaketh with forked toungue and I got one of
those haughty brushoff letters back (like the one who posted here about a
rejection letter from Science a few days ago) about it.

I really wish I had the time and resources to chase down the
problem. However, there were also some interesting lines in the sidebar
farther down entitled "Workforce projectins and direction" and "Postdocs
get a report of their own".

  Arthur E. Sowers, PhD
| Science career information websites:  |
| http://freeshell.org/~advocacy        |
| http://www.magpage.com/~arthures      |